A little history:
Matt began Plymouth Movez two and a half years ago. Elin joined in May of that year and Beth joined us last July. We have worked hard to make this a super positive free fitness community. We try to merge hard workouts with connecting and inspiring people of all ages and fitness levels to move and support each other. In many ways it has been a long road, but it has been extremely fun for us. We have grown in numbers and recognition throughout Plymouth and the surrounding towns.
The Pandemic and PM:
Obviously we are in the middle of a Pandemic and we have always erred on the side of caution and have now been doing weekly virtual zoom workouts. Attendance has dwindled and we get it that there is a lot of other things in people’s lives right now calling for attention and that it’s not the same as in person workouts. So we are not looking for fault anyone, frankly.
However as I have mentioned before people vote with their feet and keep it going so that we can continue to have something going. Unfortunately the votes are diminishing as overall numbers and with that the energy we can harness and the drive to put the energy into designing unique and interesting workouts is harder to gather every week.
Leadership is also human:
We are not immune to all the life challenges either. Beth for example is going to be bowing out for a period of time due to these kind of challenges. We are super thankful for all the help she has brought to PM. She is an amazing human being with a heart of gold and unending kindness in her heart. Matt and I have had challenges as well that put demands on our time and we have been fortunate to be able to make it all work so far.
What this means for PM:
This is not a message about the end of PM or at least we hope it doesn’t come to that. It is our wish to be transparent with the community that there is a risk that without much more involvement, it could be that we cease operations on this little experiment. It is not where we want to end up and this is not designed to fault anyone, just an explanation of where things stand. As the leadership we have always maintained we are happy to continue to do this for free if we can keep it positive and fun, but if it becomes a wear and tear situation it is better to end it.
What you can do:
- If you have ever been a part of or wanted to be a part of this and assumed you could join at a later time, this is notice that If you are able to join us, the support will help keep this going.
- If you used to come to the in-person workouts and would like to do so again in the future, you participation now would help make that possible.
- If you need accountability, find a friend and make plans to join us.
- If you want to but the challenges of these tough times keep you from joining, please know we are not here to judge you. You are still super appreciated and if there is anything we can do, please reach out to either Matt, Elin or contact us via our Facebook page or Instagram.
- The weather has been lovely lately, get outside, you can use your wireless near your home or if data use is less of a concern, go somewhere fun to workout outside. A monument, a baseball field, etc.
- Speak up, let us know what you think. Sometimes it is good to hear feedback to know we are not speaking into a vacuum.
So that is what we have to say. If you can join us Wednesday at 6AM on Zoom, we would love to have you!
Meeting ID 762-847-013
Elin Flashman and Matt West